If you are stopped for a DUI, it is important to protect yourself and your rights. It is important to seek the advice of an experienced DUI lawyer in Phoenix as soon as possible following a DUI arrest. Below are some very basic steps and rules to follow if you find yourself in the situation of being stopped by law enforcement under suspicion of DUI:
- Pull over promptly, turn on your hazard lights, and shut off your vehicle’s engine.
- Turn off your radio.
- Be polite, calm, and courteous, but firm in your requests and refusals.
- Keep your hands where they are visible to the officer.
- Follow all of the officer’s commands, except as indicated below.
- If asked to get out of the car, do so, but don’t use the door or the vehicle for balance. Do not exit your vehicle unless asked.
- Don’t answer questions, ever.
- Don’t perform field sobriety tests.
- Don’t take a pre-arrest breath test, otherwise known as a portable breath test.
- Do request to contact an attorney at the earliest possible time during the investigation and repeat this request if it is ignored.
- If, after being arrested, you are asked to perform a breath test or submit to a blood draw, it is generally a good idea to do so. However, you have the right to speak with an attorney before submitting to the blood draw. Exercise that right and ask the attorney if submitting to the blood draw is the right thing to do under your case’s circumstances.
- Request an independent blood draw by a qualified phlebotomist.
- Always be polite and remain calm. It’s best to remember that you must fight your DUI in court, not on the street.
Stone Rose Law is here to help. Our Phoenix criminal lawyers can be reached 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling (480) 498-8998 or submitting our online contact form.